Saturday, February 21, 2015

Soulful Obsession: The Eyes Through The Lense of a HERO 4 Camera

The beginning of the GoPro camera for me is just getting started, and no one was expecting something from a camera that was never seen by any Soulful Obsession band member. My first GoPro purchase during the holiday season was the beginning of a new age in taking digital photos and posting them in a angle that was unmatched and unprecedented. There are two people who I wish I would meet some day and thank them for inviting the public (including me) to use a GoPro camera and shooting the most amazing images - Nick Woodman and Abe Kiselvitz.

There were two motivations that eventually got me to obtain a GoPro camera. The first one was Nick Woodman's motivation as not only the image quality is high - but he also believes that taking selfies would never require the use of another person taking pictures of themselves. The second motivation came directly from GoPro's senior production artist, Abe Kiselvitz, as his many videos teaches the tutorials about how to successfully use a GoPro.

I, however, managed to figure out for myself and set the camera to different modes as suggested by Kiselvitz in the video and eventually decided to take pictures and video of my great adventures. After several trials and a couple of image posts on GoPro's website, I was ready to hit the roads and tell my stories of my adventures. In this short blog on my first-ever post relating to my GoPro, I describe what my experience was like inside a local San Jose art boutique seeing through the eye of my GoPro HERO 4 camera.

THE ART BOUTIQUE

Soulful Obsession's crew members have known to perform at various venues, including San Jose State University. But adding Amy Obenski to the list of performers at a local San Jose art shop and combined with bringing my GoPro along for the show resulted in a clearer picture of Soulful Obsession's performance. That location was at San Jose's SLG Art Boutiki and Gallery, which I heard that Soulful Obsession was among the performers that night. This area near the gallery was very familiar to me, as I also went to shops and eateries in several of my visits to the area.

Almost all of the Soulful Obsession crew members were unaware that my GoPro was going to be part of my adventure, despite that the lead singer, Lily Tran, was absent. In Tran's place was fill-in singer Maya Victoria. Tran was out of town at the time I was there, but she never knew about my GoPro being on the scene to capture the life's most wonderful camera shots. The rest of the crew - Veno Bender, Kosuke Okamura, and Bennett Roth-Newell - were present as Obenski performed using her guitar.

Soulful Obsession eventually went on stage as soon as Obenski came off the stage, who is proud of her achievements, but her voice was very tired. Several of the familiar favorites songs like "Open Invitation" and "Soulful Obsession" contains one of my favorite rapper's voice - that is Bennett's high-energy sound. The audience in some of the songs were engaged, though I was kept quiet for the most part as the GoPro camera was rolling.

After the show was over, Lily never knew that my newly-purchased GoPro came along even though she has met Woodman. She probably may have noticed that not all of my photos were on my iPhone while I was taking some selfies and clear shots of the scene inside the gallery. The one thing that perhaps she may ask me about what she did miss inside the boutique.

Original Work: Kyle Chak
E-mail: chak595301@gmail.com
Twitter: @KyleSChak

BONUS PHOTOS: The following photos are some of the highlights from performances from both Amy Obenski and Soulful Obsession. All of the photos in this blog are shot via my GoPro. In case the video below cannot be played in this blog, click here to view the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment